A webinar reminder from Infopeople. Please let your staff and colleagues know about this event!
Title: Public Libraries and the Common Core Curriculum: Resources
Presenter: Kathleen Odean
Date: Tuesday, December 3, 2013
Start Time: 12 Noon Pacific
· Did you know Common Core standards require that, by 12th grade, 70% of student reading be nonfiction?
· Are you looking for ways to strengthen your collection and programming to meet these new needs?
· How can you help students and their parents understand the Common Core standards and find resources related to it?
One of the exciting aspects of the new Common Core standards is their emphasis on nonfiction, which is better than ever for young people. This gives public libraries a great opportunity to highlight their nonfiction holdings and integrate them into programming, booklists, and more. Public libraries can also be instrumental in guiding students and their parents through the maze of information about the standards and what they mean.
During this webinar, participants will learn ways to improve and promote their nonfiction collections, especially in the areas of science and history. The program will review Common Core text complexity guidelines and introduce resources related to the standards.
At the end of this one-hour webinar, participants will:
· Be able to identify ways to strengthen nonfiction collections for Common Core
· Be familiar with Common Core text complexity concepts
· Be able to articulate four ways to help parents and their children with the Common Core
This webinar will be of interest to public library staff working with children and Young Adults, literacy staff and volunteers, school librarians, directors, principals, library assistants, library school students, teachers, and reading teachers.
For more information and to participate in the December 3 webinar, go to https://infopeople.org/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=235.
Webinars are free of charge, you can pre-register by clicking on the Join Webinar button now or go directly to the webinar by clicking on Join Webinar within 30 of the start of the event. If you pre-registered you will receive an email with login link and a reminder email the day before the event. If you did not preregister and you can register in the 30 minutes prior to the event and directly enter.
If you are unable to attend the live event, you can access the archived version the day following the webinar. Check our archive listing at: http://infopeople.org/training/view/webinar/archived