This position offers a career building opportunity for an experienced library manager or administrator. Working under the direction of the County Librarian, the incumbent will provide professional and administrative leadership as part of the Library’s Executive Committee, as well as planning, organizing, and directing operations for Library Branches and the Learning Group. The Deputy County Librarian will function as the Library’s Chief Operating Officer (COO), overseeing system-wide operations and special projects.
To learn more about this position please click on the following link to view the recruitment brochure: HERE
The ideal candidate is an experienced and thoughtful Library administrator with strong project management, communication and leadership skills. The ideal candidate will be:
- Adept at both strategy and implementation;
- Highly effective at managing Library operations;
- Experienced in the implementation of strategic planning from conception to completion;
- Flexible and decisive while handling a wide variety of situations with diplomacy and tact;
- Experienced and knowledgeable in working with diverse community residents, library users, and library staff;
- Committed to delivering exceptional customer service, both internal and external;
- Highly motivated to accomplish library goals and objectives, encouraging collaboration across organizational divisions;
- Committed to leading and managing organizational change;
- Experienced in data driven analysis and evaluation;
- Aware of current best practices in libraries;
- Experienced in handling complex labor relations issues while working in a strong unionized environment; and
- Politically astute.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
NOTE: The following are the duties performed by employees in this classification. However, employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level. Each individual in the classification does not necessarily perform all duties listed.
1. Oversees daily operations of the Library;
2. Oversees long-term system-wide projects, including development and implementation of a new service model in the unincorporated Cherryland within the next two years, and construction of a new Newark Library within the next five years;
3. Studies and analyzes the Library’s opportunities and challenges and recommends improvements;
4. In the absence of the County Librarian, assumes leadership and direction of the Library’s Executive Committee and represents the County Librarian at meetings, conferences and similar functions;
5. Assists in developing and implementing goals and objectives, policies, procedures, programs, and work standards for the Library;
6. Mentors and develops employees to build organizational capacity;
7. Represent the Library in civic and community venues; and,
8. Performs related work as assigned.
Experience: The equivalent of two years’ full-time experience in the class of Principal Librarian.
Experience: The equivalent of five years of full-time experience as a Deputy Librarian (or equivalent classification) in a similar urban, suburban, or city library system.
Education: Possession of a Master’s degree in Library and Information Science,
Experience: The equivalent of five years of full-time, recent, increasingly responsible supervisory and administrative experience in a community library system, that included at least three years of experience at a level comparable to that of Principal Librarian in the Alameda County classified service.
A degree in Public Administration is highly desirable.
Must possess a valid California Motor Vehicle Operator’s License.
NOTE: The Civil Service Commission may modify the above Minimum Qualifications in the announcement of an examination.
|FILING DEADLINE||8/1/2017 5:00:00 PM|
|SALARY||$58.70 – $71.43/hour; $122,096.00 – $148,574.40/year|
|EMPLOYMENT TYPE||Permanent Full-Time Employment|
|HR ANALYST||Anna Montoya|